Prevent fires on electrical appliances

40% of all domestic fires have an electrical cause. If you follow these basic rules, you'll reduce the risk of fire on electrical appliances.


Don’t use extension leads

A good rule of thumb is never to plug appliances that use more than 1000 kW of electricity into an extension lead. Appliances that use a lot of electricity need cables that are suitable for the ‘amount’ of electricity that will go through them. If you plug these in via an extension lead, there's a risk that the cables may not be big enough. This can result in a fire. Electric wall heaters, portable oil-filled radiators and washing machines are examples of appliances that should never be plugged in via extension leads.

Do your washing and tumble drying during the day

Washing machines and tumble dryers are often involved in fires. The best time to use these appliances is while you're at home, and never while you're asleep. Remember to clean the fluff filter in the tumble dryer after use.

Don’t turn your midnight snack into a fire

The stove is by far the biggest culprit in fire statistics. One in ten fatal fires start on the stove because people doze off or forget that they’ve put something on to cook. These fires often happen at night. So remember that it's safer to eat before you get home if you're tired, peckish and have had a drink.

How to prevent fires in electrical appliances:

  • Never use extension leads for appliances over 1000 kW.
  • Washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers should preferably be used while you're at home, and never while you're sleeping.
  • Empty the fluff filter in the tumble dryer every time you use it.
  • Never use the stove when you're tired or have had a drink.
  • Never use the computer in bed.
  • Never charge your mobile or computer at night.
  • Make sure you don't drape clothes on electric radiators or other electric heaters, and make sure these are a safe distance from furniture.
  • Install smoke alarms near the washing machine, dishwasher and in the same room as the stove.

Recommended for you